Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know if I have a case against LA Sanitation for the Hyperion Sewage Spill?

If you experienced physical health problems or could not enjoy your home because of the noxious odors and live in El Segundo, you should
contact our office about filing a claim.

Who will be representing me, and in what capacity?

The PARRIS Law Firm and Bloom Injury Law will be joining forces to work on your behalf.

How do I know if my home falls within the affected region?

If you live in El Segundo, you may have been impacted by noxious odors emanating from the Hyperion plant.  A good rule of thumb: if you’ve
smelled noxious odors, or experienced any health issues, you are probably eligible to join the suit.

Can I still be a part of the lawsuit even if I have to move away from El Segundo?

Yes. You do not need to currently live in the El Segundo area; you simply had to have lived there between July 2021 and now.

Can I still be a part of the lawsuit even though I received reimbursements for relocation or for the air conditioning equipment?

Yes. Relocation and air conditioning may have helped you make it through the summer, but you still lost the use and enjoyment of your home.

Start Your FREE Case Evaluation

Complete our free, no-obligation case review form to explore your legal options.

Can we take the reimbursement without waiving our lawsuit rights?

Yes. Just make sure that you have your attorney review any documents requiring your signature prior to signing.

What health problems are El Segundo residents experiencing?

The following list includes common symptoms of sewage exposure:

  • Headache
  • Eye, nose, and throat irritation
  • Respiratory distress
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Dizziness
  • Anxiety

Will sewer gas exposure make my existing medical condition(s) worse?

Yes.  Each case is unique, and your health history will affect how your case is litigated. If you have preexisting health concerns, please let your attorney or case manager know so that they may obtain your medical history.  This is critical to fighting your individual case effectively.

Should I go to the doctor?

Yes. It is critical that you receive necessary care and document your ailments and physical symptoms.  The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (DPH) created an advisory describing the types of health problems that may arise.  DPH also encourages residents to contact their medical providers for lingering health problems.

Should I keep a journal of days I smelled odors?

Yes. It’s never too late to start. As part of the case, you will need to recall details and facts from any time between July 2021 and now.

How much will it cost to join the lawsuit?

You won’t need to pay anything upfront to join the lawsuit. If we don’t win, you will not owe anything. 

If we obtain a favorable settlement or verdict, the legal fees for our work are a percentage of the total recovery amount.  By sharing costs with other residents, your overall expenses will be lower.

Will this be a class action lawsuit? If not, why?

Not at this time.  We are dedicated to protecting the individual and each person will have his or her own case.  Most of the work will consist of filing a mass tort lawsuit where we will be taking into consideration the particularities of each individual case. 

Class Action vs. Mass Tort: What’s the difference?

A class action is a specialized type of lawsuit, in which a case is filed on behalf of an entire group. The group must share a set of unfortunate circumstances and damages. The compensation recovered in a class action is split between all members of the group.

A mass tort lawsuit allows a single attorney, or group of attorneys, to represent multiple parties individually. The investigation and research into the incident that gave rise to the cause of action is conducted by a single attorney, or group of attorneys, and is shared among all of the individual cases. Compensation recovered in a mass tort is awarded to each plaintiff individually.

Is there anyone local that I can meet and speak with?

Yes, members of the PARRIS Law Firm and Bloom Injury Law are available to speak with you. Mark Bloom of Bloom Injury Law is from El Segundo. 

If you would like an in-person meeting, please call (310) 362-3921. We will coordinate a meeting with one of our team members at Mark Bloom’s office
in El Segundo.  

How long will this case take?

This is difficult to determine. As you can imagine, this situation is very complicated and involves a lot of residents. Our office estimates that this case will take anywhere from a minimum of two years to seven years.

What does signing the retainer mean for me?

Signing the retainer is the key first step in bringing your claims against LASAN. You may be entitled to damages for any of the following:

  • Relocation expenses
  • Air conditioning units and increased electrical costs
  • Air purification systems and increased electrical costs
  • Medical expenses (past and future)
  • Loss of the enjoyment of your home
  • Income losses
  • Emotional injuries (anxiety or depression) and
  • Physical injuries (skin rashes, eye/nose irritation, nausea, and headaches).

I’ve signed up. Now what?

First, welcome to the team.  Thank you for putting your trust in us to prosecute your case against LA Sanitation.

Now that you have signed up, we need you to continue to document your health symptoms and issues, as well as any inconvenience or stress caused by the sewage spill.  We will be regularly sending updates on the steps in the litigation.  If you did not receive an update, please call us at 310-362-3921 to make sure we have your correct contact information. 

Thank you! Your form has been submitted.

We will be contacting you shortly!